Pages

Ramp and Ginger Sauce

I have become somewhat obsessed with ramps. I simply can't get enough of these wild leeks that are available in Spring. I visit the Berried Treasures Farm at the Union Square Greenmarket often to stock up on this sought after pungent vegetable. Other than using ramps in a variety of dishes as I did in my previous posts. I also want to use it in a versatile sauce that would go well with the meals I like to prepare.

I always love ginger and scallion sauce. You may know this sauce as the complimentary dipping sauce that comes with Chinese White Cut or Soy Sauce Chicken. When I was a child, I remember being excited when my parents come home with takeout chicken not because of the chicken, but because of the sauce. I would pour it all over my white rice, and I could eat a bowl of it. To this date, I ask for the sauce even when I'm ordering wonton noodle soup or congee. I make this sauce sometimes which is super easy, but getting them in the little plastic containers somehow makes it tastier. For the short ramp season, I made a version of it with ramps. I didn't use as much ginger as I would to make the ginger scallion sauce. I want the ginger to enhance the ramp flavor and not overpower it.

Ramp and Ginger Sauce
One bunch of ramps (8-10 bulbs with leaves)
4 inches of ginger (peeled and cut into large pieces)
1/2 cup of neutral oil that has a high smoke point such as vegetable, corn or peanut oil
Salt to taste

Peel the skin of the ginger by lightly scraping it with a spoon. Separate the bulb from the leaves of the ramps. Add the bulb and the peeled ginger into a food processor. Pulse the processor until the mixture is finely minced but not puree. Put the mixture into a heat poof bowl. I like to mince the ramp leaves myself so they're not bruised too much. Add that to the mixture, Heat oil in a sauce pan until it is almost smoking hot. Then slowly pour the hot oil to the ramp and ginger, be careful when you pour as the mixture would sizzle. Stir well then season with salt.
I put this sauce on everything, from my homemade pork and ramp dumplings to rib eye steak. It goes well with chicken, shellfish and fish too. You could also use this sauce to saute vegetables or simply put it on white rice and noodles. For me this sauce is good with everything!


1 comment:

  1. Our bodies are remarkable canvases, capable of healing and rejuvenation. Listening to our bodies, honoring rest, and addressing ailments promptly are acts of self-love. By respecting our physical and mental boundaries, we honor the vessel that carries us through life, ensuring it remains resilient and robust. https://hearwellservices.com/about-us/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...